Thursday, February 23, 2012

How can I graph a fuction on a coordinate plane?

I have the equation Y=(x-5)^2 which I need to graph on a coordinate plane. I would also like to kow how to find the equations of functions already graphed.How can I graph a fuction on a coordinate plane?Y=(x-5)虏 is the same family as y = x虏.

They have the identical shape opening upwards.

You graph Y=x虏 first. Then move the parabola 5 units

to the right. This is a problem of transformation.



To graph y = x虏. , some points are (-1,1) (0,0),

(1,1), (2,4), (3,9) ...etc.

To graph Y=(x-5)虏 , those points are translated by

(x+5,y). So those points are 5 units to the right of

y= x虏. They become

(-1+5,1), ) (0+5,0),(1+5,1), (2+5,4), (3+5,9) ...etc.

= (4,1) (5,0),(6,1), (7,4), (8,9) ...etc.



With these points, you are graphing

Y=(x-5)虏

No comments:

Post a Comment